Jun 11, 2011

The Last Prophet - Chapter 3: Learning To Enjoy God's Blessing

The Last Prophet
Chapter 3: Learning To Enjoy God's Blessing
Questions To Ponder 

1. Have you ever been robbed? What took place and how did it feel?

 No, not robbed! But I remember a time as a teenager, my parents went out of town and it was just my sister and I for the weekend.  Her boyfriend came over to hang out for a while, and thankfully he was still there, when someone attempted to break into our house through the garage door.  It was one of those doors that had a window, and as I looked across the house I could see the silhouette of a hooded head and shoulders looking through the window.  When the intruder saw movement in the house they quickly disappeared, but it was one of the scariest situations I have ever dealt with.  We had trouble sleeping that night and we felt completely violated even though nothing seemed to be disturbed or harmed.  I am just so thankful that God protected us and that He caused the timing to work out so that we had someone else there and not just the two of us girls.

2. Why did God speak so strongly to the Priests?

 The Priest had a covenant relationship with God, and they were failing to fulfill their end of the contract.  God wanted to be able to bless them, but their choices and decisions that broke the contract caused God to have to remove the blessings, God could not fulfill His end when they were slacking on their end.  So God sent then a message, though it seems harsh, it was out of love, because until they changed their ways, God could not bless them as He desired. 

3. How would you describe a Covenant according to this chapter?

 A Covenant is like a contract, but much deeper...it is not just some legal paper stating that both parties agree to certain binding obligations.  It is about relationship...about loving, sharing, offering protection to the other party mutually.  In the bible there were three things they would do to enter into a covenant relationship.. First they exchanged blood, pledging their person-hood, their destinies became intertwined.  Second, they exchanged coats saying what's mine is yours, and third, they exchanged weapons saying I will stand by you and for you forever.  A covenant did not end when one of the parties died...it continues on from one generation to the next.  A covenant relationship is not something you enter into lightly!

4. What impact has God's Covenant had on you?

God's Covenant with man was fulfilled through Christ death on the cross, and His shed blood and wounded body paid the the price, so that we don't have to go through all of the same steps as they did in the old testament...But the covenant is still active and working to bring us forgiveness, so that we can be called the sons and daughters of God...So that we can say "I am a friend of God!"  I am so thankful that God made a way for me to enter into this covenant relationship with Him, and I want to do everything in my power to make sure I uphold my end of the deal!