Jan 17, 2011

Chapter 23: Ashes Instead of Honor

1. How do people in your culture give expression to their grief?

In our culture today, it seems that many people think it's better not to express grief, they hold it in and try to deny it. Those that do show their grief, do it in many ways...weeping, moaning, being quiet and withdrawn, or some even become angry...I don't know of any physical sign of grief (like ripping your clothes and putting ashes on your head) being very common in America.


2. In what ways does modern society victimize women?

I think that the way women are portrayed in the movies, on TV, and in magazines, makes all women feel like they can never good enough...seems how the normal woman is not a size zero, with no imperfections. So not only do women feel like they don't match up, but men may expect women to meet a certain image, instead of looking at the beauty on the inside, everything is based on outer beauty.


3. How did you first come to realize that you are a virgin daughter or son of the King?

I went to a women's retreat as a young adult, and the theme that weekend was about being a daughter of the King and what that means for all of us in the family of God. That weekend, I realized how God saw me; no matter how I saw myself, or how anyone else saw me; God saw me as His beautiful, spotlessly pure, daughter, a princess, royalty at it's finest. And what God sees is really all that matters.