Jan 9, 2011

Chapter 19: Hearts Broken in Childhood


1. How could one person cause another to sin?

As Beth says on pg 116 "Anything that directly causes a child to have an increase tendency toward sin can be characterized as victimization or abuse." So if we reverse that sentence - Any type of victimization or abuse can cause a child to have an increased tendency toward sin.


2. How does abuse of a child both prove heart breaking and promote sin?

When a child is abused, they lose something...emotionally, physically, mentally...they see themselves differently and they accept the lie that they are not as good as everyone else. When children see themselves as lower or less important than others, or not worth much...they are more apt to try to get attention and love from places and people who will only cause them more harm. Abuse breaks the heart and opens the door to sin in many ways.


3. How does Christ's love for children cause Him to relate to the problem of child abuse?

In Matthew 18:5 Jesus said this "Whoever welcomes a little child like this in My name welcomes Me", so then, what we do for the children, or to the children, we also do for or to Jesus. Can you imagine the pain Jesus feels each time a child is abused? I am sure that Jesus feels the pain of it just as much as the child does, and He is longing for the child to come to Him so that he can take that pain and hurt away and bring about something good in their life.


4. How can Christ use the pain of a turbulent childhood for our good?

Jesus can take the pain and hurt of any situation and work it out for good. The situation may not be good, but the results can be. For example, as a child I had a terrible speech impediment and most people could not understand a word I said...I remember so many times adults turning to my mom for an interpretation, and many times she had to ask me several questions in order to figure out what I was trying to say. I grew up with peers and teachers who would purposefully try to get me to say things that they could make fun of...it was humiliating. But God has helped me to over come the speech problems and has caused me to be more compassionate and understanding of people who have physical disabilities. I am a better person today, because of the trials I went through with this disability!


5. How do you feel about the way Christ relates to the problem of child abuse?

I am so thankful that I can say that my God loves people, young or old, big or small, broken and hurting or healthy and happy. And God wants to bring about good in all of our lives. So the idea that Christ relates to the problem of child abuse and wants to see them healed and made whole, really is not a shock to me...I have come to realize that anything less would just not be acceptable... God is love and love is what He is all about!