Jan 31, 2011

Chapter 29: Broken Pottery

1. How can a rebellious child of God come to rely on deceit?

There are many different circumstances that may lead to relying on deceit, but I think the steps look something like this:
  • believing a lie, because it looks like an easy answer to your problem
  • believing in additional lies to support the original lie
  • removing all truth from your life, so that believing that lie(s) is easy
  • surrounding yourself with others who embrace the same lie(s) as you
  • relying on a lie, to make your decisions and life choices look right and good.


2. Why do rebellious children of God run from real answers?

When we are in the midst of rebelling against God, the last thing we want is to hear the very truth, that proves everything we are doing is wrong. Our pride cannot handle that type of blow. Many times it takes the worst of circumstances to make us realize our mistake and finally turn back to God, because we finally realize He is the only one who can fix the mess we've made.


3. Which do you find more difficult, returning to God or resting in Him?

In my life I find the resting in Him, and trusting Him to take care of everything the hardest. I am pretty quick to admit when I've made a mistake, but resting in Him and letting Him fix it is tough for me; I want to step in and try to fix things my own way.


4. Which of the characteristics of rebellion have been your tendencies?

Number 4. A rebellious child of God relies on oppression.