Dec 4, 2010

Chapter 9: The Obstacle of Pride

1. To what degree would you say that God's name and renown is the desire of your heart?

It's hard to say...I would love to say "all of my heart", but I know that pride is the reason for wanting to say that...so though I want and desire God's name and renown, it is not to the degree that it should be.


2. In what ways is pride a dangerous enemy?

God opposes the proud, and if that alone is not enough...Pride is the downfall of many, it blocks us from doing the one thing God created all of us to do...Glorify Him.



3. How do you feel toward someone who exhibits pride in their life?
How do you feel toward one who demonstrates humility?

When someone is prideful, it makes it hard to connect with them. When a person is too prideful to admit their failures, it makes other people uncomfortable. On the other hand, when they demonstrate humility, you feel comfortable around them, because you know they make mistakes too and they won't judge you. I think we tend to gravitate towards humble people.


4. What does it take to humble yourself before God?

Recognizing how big God is and how small you are. I find that reading scriptures about God's greatness, power, love, everything about Him, tends to make me realize how small and helpless I am without Him. Then once you come to the knowledge of His greatness and your smallness, you tell Him how thankful you are for everything about Him and praise Him for who He is.