Dec 11, 2010

Chapter 12: The Obstacle of Legalism

1. What is so appealing about legalism? Why do people continue to return to legalism?

I think that legalism stems from pride.  We think that we could be good enough to earn God's love.  Which is so far from the truth...God's Love is a gift and it never changes no matter what we do.  So we are attracted to legalism because it makes us feel like we are deserving of God's love, and we keep returning to it because we have not accepted the gift of God's love, we still feel the need to work for it.


2. Which condition do you find the greatest temptation: (1) regulations to replace relationships, (2) microscopes to replace mirrors, or (3) performance to replace passion?

Performance to replace passion

3. How has legalism squeeze the joy out of your salvation?

Legalism makes you think you have to do everything perfect, and sometimes it makes you think you have to say yes to everything asked of you, or you are a bad person.  At least that has been my experience, I didn't know it was okay to just tell someone "no!"  I felt like I had to say yes to everything, and I ended up working on so many things and running so many directions, that there was no way I could enjoy anything.  I literally ran myself ragged.  Trust me there is no joy in that!


4. Which of the five obstacles you have studied gives you the greatest problems? Which gives you the least?


The most = Pride
The least = Prayerlessness