Nov 22, 2010

Chapter 8: The Obstacle of Unbelief

1. What has God Done in your life to prepare the road for His visit as King?

From the time I was a baby, God has been at work in my life, preparing the road.  You see My parents raised us in church. Every Sunday and Wednesday we heard God's Word and learned about Jesus.  At home we had Bible studies and I've always heard amazing stories about how God healed so and so, or provided for such and such.  As I grew older God started showing His presence and power in my life, I remember clearly at the tender age of four, I asked Jesus to come into my heart and forgive me from my sins.  And from that moment on He has never failed me.  Anytime I ever had need of anything, He provided.  As a teenager raising money for a missions trip, I was three hundred and fifty some dollars short of what I need to turn in by the following week.  We were in California visiting family, so I had no way of attending fundraisers or acquiring the needed money before we returned home. So I prayed and told God that if He really wanted me to go this trip He would have to provide the needed money, because there was no way I could do it on my own.  My Uncle (who is a pastor) came to me the next morning and asked if I would share a little bit about my upcoming trip on Sunday morning.  So, even though it scared me silly, I agreed.  I shared a brief three to five minute speech, and after service, I had 5 to 10 different people give me money to help me out with the missions trip.  When I got home and added it all up, it was the exact amount I had to turn in the next day.  This is just one example of how God has always been there, working on the road, that will someday bring us face to face, in His wonderful presence and glory!


2.What is the difference between believing in God and believing God?

Many people believe in God, but do not know Him or trust Him.  It is kind of like believing there is a Bible, that does not mean that you have read it, or believe anything it says. Believing God, is not only believing He exist, but believing that everything He says is true and trusting Him to do all He says He will do. 



3. How has God proved Himself worthy of your confidence?

In everything, every trial, every hurt, every need, even my wants and heart desires, God has been faithful! When my faith was lacking, He would bring something in to encourage me.  Sometimes it was a friend or an acquaintance, other times it was a book I was reading, or even a scripture the Pastor preached on.  Any time any place, God can reveal Himself, and He has. When I think back over my life I cannot see a time when God was not there leading and guiding me.  Even in the times when I was not asking Him to, He was there watching over me. Over and over again God has shown Himself worthy, worthy of confidence, worthy of praise, worthy of adoration, He is Worthy!!


4. How has the study of Scriptures affected your faith?

Studying Scriptures builds up your weapons and shield, making your faith stronger and able to stand against all of the fiery darts the enemy may throw at you.  Whenever you start to doubt, God by His Holy Spirit brings those scriptures to your mind, and you remember His promises, His faithfulness, and His love...whatever it is you need to be reminded of, there is a scripture that applies.  So when you read God's Word and study it, it gives you the resources and ability to stand. 

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 
casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,  
and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled."
1 Corinthians 10:3-6 (New King James)
   
"Put on God's whole armor [the armor of a heavy-armed soldier which God supplies], that you may be able successfully to stand up against [all] the strategies and the deceits of the devil.
 For we are not wrestling with flesh and blood [contending only with physical opponents], but against the despotism's, against the powers, against [the master spirits who are] the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spirit forces of wickedness in the heavenly (supernatural) sphere.
Therefore put on God's complete armor, that you may be able to resist and stand your ground on the evil day [of danger], and, having done all [the crisis demands], to stand [firmly in your place].
Stand therefore [hold your ground], having tightened the belt of truth around your loins and having put on the breastplate of integrity and of moral rectitude and right standing with God,
And having shod your feet in preparation [to face the enemy with the firm-footed stability, the promptness, and the readiness produced by the good news] of the Gospel of peace.
Lift up over all the [covering] shield of saving faith, upon which you can quench all the flaming missiles of the wicked [one].
And take the helmet of salvation and the sword that the Spirit wields, which is the Word of God.
Pray at all times (on every occasion, in every season) in the Spirit, with all [manner of] prayer and entreaty. To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints (God's consecrated people)."
 Ephesians 6:11-18 (Amplified)