Nov 7, 2010

Breaking Free - Chapter 1: From Kings To Captivity


Breaking Free - Chapter 1: From Kings to Captivity

1. What do you think Isaiah would be like as a friend?
Well it is hard to say, I guess from what I know of him off the top of my head, he would be the type of friend we all need, and only some of us want. I mean not everyone wants someone to be straight up and honest with them. Some people just don't desire to have someone in their life who will confront them on the things that are not pleasing to God. But I believe that Isaiah would have been that kind of friend, and we all really need that to help us grow in our relationship with Christ as well as our relationships here on earth.


2. What do you think caused Uzziah's attack of pride that lead to his downfall?
We all deal with temptation, it is just a part of life. But when we are able to withstand temptation and do what is right, it is easy to get caught up with pride. The idea starts to creep into our mind that we did a good thing and that we are awesome. The problem is that in doing this, in submitting ourselves to this way of thinking, we start to forget that the only reason we were able to do such a good thing, was because of the power of God working in our hearts. We start to focus on ourselves and give ourselves the glory instead of focusing on God and giving Him the glory. This is how, I believe, King Uzziah became prideful, leading to his downfall.


3. How does pride raise it;s ugly head in your life?
Perfectionism - I feel the need to be perfect. If I mess up in even the slightest way, other people may not even consider or notice the little mistake, but it drives me nuts. And I definitely would not want people to see or know that I made a mistake. Sometimes it is a simple as a dish coming out of the dishwasher with a speck of food on it. But in everything I do I feel the need to be perfect, and if I'm not perfect in an area, then I try to hide the fact and hope no one notices until I get it figured out and make it just so.

I feel the need to confess that I have read and reread this short answer at least 5 times and changed it just as many times in my need for perfection. I know that it probably still is not perfect...but I must move on. Ugh!!



4. Why do you suppose Jotham did not tear down the high places?
My guess is that Jotham was a people pleaser. It would be a hard thing to take a stand against the one thing all of the people wanted. He chose to fear man over fearing God, and it cost him dearly.




5. What could possibly lead a father to sacrifice his own son in the fire?
Abraham was willing to sacrifice Issac for the Lord, and in his case it was faith! But I believe that the situation this chapter was talking about was because of deception! This king probably thought that sacrificing his son would bring good to his kingdom, because he put his trust and faith in the false god's and idols, the high places that Jotham failed to remove. If you are not serving God, you are serving Satan...and the bible tells us that Satan comes to still, kill and destroy. This why it is so important to know what you believe and why, and to be obedient to all of God's commands!


6. How would you describe Hezekiah's legacy to his children and grandchildren?
Hezekiah restored the country to a right relationship with God, removed the high places, and put His trust in God to provide for and protect the nation. In doing so he passed on these values to future generations.