Jul 30, 2011

Gloom Despair, and Agony on Me...

Gloom Despair and Agony on Me...

As we go through life there are those times when the things that surround try to get you down, and if you let them succeed, it won't be long before you're singing this old song...

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I'm fairly certain none of us want to get to that point, but when we let our focus drift off of Christ and we settle for looking at the things around us, we very quickly sink into the pit so well described in the lyrics of this song.  I encourage you today to look to your Heavenly Father and the promises He has given you in His Word, and then those very things that have gotten you down will become insignificant compared to how great and good and mighty our God is.  Here is my own version of that chorus to show the difference Christ makes in a life given to His leading.

Peace, prosperity, and blessings on me
Bright, golden Son light and hope for eternity
If it weren't for Jesus Christ, I'd have no hope at all 
Peace, prosperity and blessings on me


Here are a few of God's promises to ponder...

"The Lord is faithful to all of His promises." - Psalm 145:13

"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this:  He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.  Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret..." - Psalm 37:5-7 


"And my God will meet all of your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:19 


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11


"As for God, His ways are perfect: the Word of the Lord if flawless.  He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him." - Psalm 18:30


As you look through God's Word there are many great promises...please share with us some of your favorites.