Feb 27, 2011

Breaking Free - Chapter 40: Tearing Down The High Places


Breaking Free - Chapter 40: Tearing Down The High Places


1. What type of things have tried to keep you from centering your mind on Christ? 

Worry about loved ones. 


2. What does learning to "think a troublesome thought" as it relates to Christ mean to you? 

I look at it as changing the way you look at the situation, and the way you go about thinking about it.  For example:  When I am worried about a loved one who is not making wise decisions, I can sit and fret and think of all the horrible things it may lead to (this would be a thought holding me captive), or I could think about that person and all the potential and great promises God has for them. Then I can pray for them using scripture asking God to work in their life, and release them into His hands. Effectively, I've taken this thought that once held me captive,and have taken it captive and brought it into obedience with Christ. 


3. Why is idolatry an open invitation to disaster?

When you put something in a place of more importance than God, you are allowing something to come between you and God, that is a recipe for disaster.

 

4. Do you tend to think of confession as admitting you have done something shameful or as coming to say the same thing God says about an issue?


Up until reading this chapter, I always thought of confession as admitting to something wrong in your life.  To see it as coming to agree with God's Word on a matter was a real eye opener.