Apr 3, 2010

Believing God - by Beth Moore - Ch 7-9

BELIEVING YOU ARE WHO 
GOD SAYS YOU ARE

Who does God say you are? Do you know? Or do you just have an idea of who you are based on what people around you say, or on past and present circumstances? I think many times we as Christians know that we are redeemed, forgiven, loved, adopted into God's family, chosen, blessed, favored, and much more.  But we don't believe it. We know that God's Word says it, but we don't really believe it applies to us, or we just don't believe He was talking about us.  We tend to think, "Yeah, sure ...  some people are all those things, but not me." I loved how Beth illustrated the difference between being a this (what God says you are) and still feeling and acting like a that (the person you believe yourself to be). God will help us to start believing that we are a this and not a that if we will just start asking Him to show us how He sees us. As we read and chew on God's Word, I believe that God is willing, and even excitedly waiting to show us the truth about ourselves.  Because whether we realize it or not, we are loved, blessed, chosen, redeemed, adopted, and forgiven.  We are children of God, and He is our Abba (daddy) Father.  I'd like for you to imagine with me for a moment what it would be like to sit in God's lap as He strokes your hair, and tells you how much He loves you.  When you cry He bends down on one knee and tilts up your chin, to wipe away your tears. Then God's loving arms surround you in a hug that is warm, comforting, gentle, and compassionate.  Can you picture it?  I can, and let me tell you that there is no other love like God's love.  We don't all have this kind of a loving Father here on earth, but we all have a loving Father in God, and He is waiting for us to start searching His Word so that He can show us how much He loves us, and how He views us through His eyes.  We truly are the way God see's us.  Now we just have to believe it!
 ~*~
BELIEVING YOU CAN DO 
ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST

I have had Phil. 4:13 memorized for more than half of my life, but have I truly believed it, expected it, or seen it played out in my life?  The answer is no.  I mean there have been a few occasions when I thought I had a grasp of it.  But in general, I tend to worry, fear, and doubt my way through situations.  I know God never intended me to worry, fear or doubt, because He was/is with me and in control every second of every minute.  I need the knowledge to become a deep rooted belief.  Here is a little practice I decided to do to help myself believe.  I speak the scripture out loud as it is written in the Bible.  "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Then I take the key point that I need to apply to myself and make it personal.   - "I can love the unlovable through Christ who gives me strength." Speaking scriptures out loud has a powerful effect.  The words of our mouths are a powerful weapon.  Let's remember to use them as we battle against worry, doubts and fear.  Do not allow yourself to meditate on the lies of the enemy, but speak the truth of God's Word over every situation and watch and see what amazing things God does in your life.
 ~*~
BELIEVING GOD'S WORD IS ALIVE 
AND POWERFUL IN YOU

God's Word is alive, active, operative, energizing, effective, and powerful in our lives. I love the way Beth breaks this statement down. I encourage you to reread pg 125 and think about what it means to have the Word of God working in your life in such a way. The Holy Spirit and God's Word, together they make a dynamic duo that is so powerful we cannot comprehend it. I've heard it said that many Christians make the mistake of reading too much too fast. It is said that we should read just one scripture or passage and meditate on it, for a day, a week or as much time is needed, we need to look at what the scripture says, what it means, and whether we really believe what it is saying. If we do this with a prayerful heart asking the Holy Spirit to teach us and lead us, we will be changed. It is so exciting! Just to know that God's Word is working in my life, on my behalf, to bring about God's perfect plan for my life.

Thank you Father for giving us your Son to die in our place, the Holy Spirit to comfort us, and your Holy Word to teach and guide us through all of life's issues. Amen